Residential UV – Pro’s and Con’s

Residential UV – Pro’s and Con’s

Unlike other disinfection methods, such as chlorine for example, UV disinfection doesn’t require the use of harmful chemicals. Ultraviolet light (UV) has been been used for well over a half a century to purify water. It has no aesthetic effect on water, so unlike chemicals it doesn’t add a taste or odor to the water. Further, it’s impossible to “over treat” with UV.

Ultraviolet light works by disrupting the DNA structure of microorganisms like bacteria, leaving them unable to grow and multiply.

The problem with UV in smaller, “point of use” systems (water coolers), is that they don’t compare to their beefed up, more powerful, commercial relatives.

Small UV “point of use” coolers employ small, low power, light bulbs in the reservoir area to do their work. If the bulb fails, is dirty, or if it strikes the water at the wrong angle, the UV will be ineffective. Also, if the water is “hard”, or has high levels of “tannins”, the UV will be rendered ineffective.

Further, in areas of the cooler where the light can’t reach, (faucets, filters, etc.) the UV has no effect at all.

Lastly, while UV has many desirable benefits in killing bacteria, most would prefer to drink no bacteria at all, alive or dead. So it is here that Stonybrook’s “dry” technology really shines.

July 08, 2014 in Uncategorized | Read more »

Follow Us

Find us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. Keep in touch for the latest news and updates on our products and services!
\"\"  \"\"  \"Linkedin\"  \"Linkedin\"